A list of James Paine’s Surviving Projects with Historic England listing numbers and also English Heritage listing numbers – revised 06-12-16
Peter Leach in his definitive book on James Paine (published in 1988) provides a catalogue of Paine’s documented works, projects and attributions. There are 104 projects listed in the catalogue. 15 projects are located in the North of England, 27 in Yorkshire, 14 in the Midlands, 10 in the East of England, 14 in the South, 23 in London and 1 in County Sligo.
Of the original 104 projects, only 52 completed or partial completed projects still survived in 1988. There are 10 projects left in the North of England, 17 in Yorkshire, 11 in the Midlands, 5 in the East of England, 4 in London and 5 in the South of England. Of course there may well be some more Paine buildings out there waiting to be discovered. Today, 21 of the sites are open to the public. 5 are owned by the National Trust and 8 of the sites had their grounds landscaped by Capability Brown.
North of England – 15 projects – 10 survive – 6 open to the public – 2 NT – 2 CB
Alnwick Castle – partial reconstruction +interior decoration of keep + attributed new kitchen range GVI HE1371308 EH 235592 + park & garden GVI HE1001041 EH (UID2043) – open to the public – Capability Brown site – a great part of Paine’s work destroyed by later reconstructions.
Ruinous by the C18, the 1st Duke had it rehabilitated and extended by James Prince and Robert Adam, the latter being mainly concerned with the interior decoration, very little of which remains except for fireplaces in the Housekeeper’s and the Steward’s Rooms and for inside the present Estates Office range. Capability Brown landscaped the grounds, filling in the former moat (formed by Bow Burn). The 4th Duke employed Anthony Salvin 1854-65 at the cost of £1/4 million to remove Adam’s fanciful Gothic decoration, to restore a serious Gothic air to the exterior and to redesign the state rooms in an imposing grand Italian manner.
Between 1750 and 1786, a picturesque landscape park was developed for Hugh, first Duke of Northumberland, involving work by James Paine, Robert Adam, and the supervision of work by Lancelot Brown (1716-83) and his foremen Cornelius Griffin, Robson, and Biesley in the 1760-80s, working alongside James and Thomas Call, the Duke’s gardeners.
Axwell Park – new house GVII* HE1025206 EH 303771 + stables (unexecuted) – not open to public
Large house 1758 by Paine for Sir Thomas Clavering. Built by John Bell of Durham. Altered 1817 to 1818 by John Dobson. Ashlar; roof of graduated Lakeland slate. 3 storeys; original main staircase removed; principal room has bracketed corniced doorcase and chimney piece, moulded panels.
Belford Hall – new house GVI HE1233314 EH 408798 (now divided into flats) + gothic tower (demolished ) + garden temple / folly GVII HE1276435 HE 409361 (not mentioned by Peter Leach but listed as Paine) – not open to public.
Country house, now divided into flats. 1754-56 by James Paine for Abraham Dixon; wings and rear entrance added 1818 by John Dobson for William Clark. Ashlar with Scottish slate roof. Palladian style.
Gothick garden temple or folly. c1756. Designed by James Paine for Abraham Dixon. Dressed stone with broad chamfered plinth. Lined in brick internally. Octagonal plan with ogee-headed door and 3 ogee-headed windows to alternating faces, with above blind cross shaped arrow slits. Alternating blank walls have imitation arrow slits. Interior has fireplace and 3 rounded niches. Roofless at time of survey.
Blagdon Hall – mainly unexecuted alterations to the east range GVI HE1042662 EH 238975 + new stables GVII* HE1370782 EH 238979 (listed as Wyatt not Paine) – not open to the public. Country Life articles 18 August, , Vol. 62, (1952), 188 & 8 August, , Vol. 62, (1952), 260 396
Country House. 1730-1752 for Sir Matthew White, incorporating a little of an earlier house; east front built first, a second phase of work including the south front and the addition of the 2nd floor completed by 1752 (south front rainwater heads, these by James Paine).
Stable block, 1791, by James Wyatt. Tooled-and-margined ashlar except for roughly-squared stone to rear and in basement on north; Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh slates to rear of south range. Ranges around rectangular yard. Palladian style stables. ( not Paine but Wyatt ) no photos
Bywell Hall –new front block & alterations – GVII* HE1370556 EH 239831 (the original staircase has been removed and the hall area re-planned ) – open to the public
Villa; 1766 by James Paine, altered and extended in late C19. Ashlar; graduated Lakeland slate roofs. Neo-Palladian style. Original house: 2½ storeys, 3 wide bays under pediment.
Interior: The original staircase has been removed and the hall area re-planned. One ground floor room retains a carved marble fireplace and a Palladian compartmented ceiling from the Paine period.
Gibside – house (decoration) GV II* HE1299730 EH 303871# (Paine not mentioned in house listing) + chapel GVI HE1185345 EH 303878# + column of British Liberty GVI HE1025166 EH 303872# – open to public – National Trust site – Country Life articles 8/02/52 & 15/02/52
Large house. 1603-20 for William Blakiston; enlarged mid-C18 for George Bowes; 1805 top floor removed, original porch reconstructed and high battlemented parapet added for 10th Earl of Strathmore. Ashlar sandstone. Roofless at time of survey.
Chapel and mausoleum. 1760-69; completed 1812. Designed by James Paine for George Bowes, M.P. and coal owner. Ashlar; lead-covered dome. Greek cross plan. Palladian style, Ionic order. One tall storey on basement,
Monument to British Liberty – Column. 1750-57. By Daniel Garrett until 1753; then James Paine. Statue of British Liberty by Christopher Richardson. For George Bowes,M.P. and coal owner. Ashlar sandstone. Tuscan column 140 feet high, on base, has cornice supporting overhanging plinth of statue holding staff of Maintenance and cap of Liberty in right hand.
Gosforth House (now known as Brandling House ) – new house & wings – GV II* HE1121859 EH 304973 – now part of Newcastle racecourse – not open to the public
Country house, now part of club and grandstand. 1755-64 by James Paine for Charles and Elizabeth Brandling. 1881 conversion to racecourse club and grandstand for High Gosforth Park Co. Ltd. 1921 restoration. EH 304973
Hardwick Park – park GVII* HE1000730 EH (UID 1712) – a series of garden buildings consisting of serpentine bridge GVII HE1121514 EH 112142 + gothic gatehouse GVII* HE1322811 EH 112141 + gothic seat + Doric bath-house + gothic Bona Retiro + temple of Minerva + statue of Neptune (all ruined) and an unexecuted new house & lodge – open to public
Bridge, c.1754, designed by James Paine for John Bourdon of Herdwick Hall, and executed by John Bell of Durham. Ashlar. A single wide elliptical arch, slightly raised in the centre, has voussoirs and a drip mould formerly carried a parapet with pierced quatrofoils, and rounded coping. Designed as part of the new land-scape garden layout created for John Bourdon. Source, James Paine by Peter Leach 1989.
Gothick Gatehouse to Hardwick Park ( previously listed as Artificial Ruin) Gothick Gatehouse. Circa 1764 by James Paine for John Burdon. Sandstone ashlar. Long, rectangular-plan gatehouse with circular tower attached to rear of left return. Built as a sham ruin in Gothick style and incorporating medieval masonry from Guisborough Priory.
Raby Castle – partial remodeling and interior decoration GVI HE1338625 EH 111447# + parks and gardens GVII* HE1000732 EH (UID1723) + Raby Home Farm GVII* HE1121775 EH 111451 + Raby Hill Farmhouse. GV II HE 1121774 EH 111449 + Farm buildings north of Raby Hill Farmhouse GV II HE 1338627 EH 111450 + Raby Park House and Butlers Cottage and out buildings GV II HE 1391549 EH 495237 – Castle open to public – Country Life articles 10 and 17 July 1969, 1, 8 and 22 January 1970
Castle towers with curtain wall and adjacent buildings. Early/mid C14, probably incorporating earlier buildings; licence to crenellate 1379. Partial demolition and rebuilding c.1620; extensive C18 alterations and additions by D. Garrett, J. Paine, J. Carr;
Paine, restoring interior in mid C18, executed interior work including Gothic bedroom in Neville gateway, and several classical-style rooms.
Rising land can be seen to the north with views of Raby Hill House (listed grade II), c 1.2km north-west of the Castle and outside the registered area, which was designed in Gothick style by James Paine, mid C18. Raby Home Farm (listed grade II*) lies at the top of a hill to the west, c 1.8km from the Castle and outside the registered area, and there are views of a gothick screen fronting the east side of the Home Farm which was designed by Paine in the mid C18.
Raby Home Farm with walls attached. GV II Planned farm with folly screen. Mid-C18 by J. Paine, incorporating medieval masonry with carved Bull emblem from demolished barbican of Raby Castle.
Raby Hill Farmhouse. GV II Mid C18 by J. Paine, probably from design by D. Garrett. Limewashed rubble with plinth and ashlar dressings; roofs of Welsh slate, with rear of left wing stone-flagged, right wing roofed in corrugated asbestos and rear left wing pantiled with stone eaves; brick chimneys. Gothic style.
Farm buildings north of Raby Hill Farmhouse GV II
Farm buildings. Circa 1770 by J. Paine using design by D. Garrett. Limewashed rubble with ashlar dressings; pantiled roof. 2-storey, 3-bay barn, with one-storey L-plan range of byres at left forming yard behind farmhouse with entrance at left; right range demolished. Derelict at time of survey. Included for group value.
Raby Park House and Butlers Cottage and out buildings GV II
House and attached cottage, 18th century. Part of a group of estate buildings which serviced Raby Castle. Coursed squared sandstone blocks with ashlar quoins and detailing, later stone chimney stacks and tiled and oversailing hipped and pitched roofs. — These two houses form part of a larger group of service and farm buildings set on an island of estate activity within the extensive parkland surrounding Raby Castle. The grouping of these buildings appears to be part of an overall estate plan to re-design the park of c. 1755-65. Joseph Spence was advising on the parkland landscaping and James Paine is said to have designed some of the estate buildings as well as having carried out alterations to the castle itself. Raby Park House is thought to have been built in the third quarter of the 18th century and Butler Cottage in the fourth quarter, the latter originally as a single storey service wing to the larger house. The finer dating of these buildings is however rather difficult as large estates such as this have invariably used and re-used interior features of different periods.
Wallington Hall – bridge – GVI HE1002903 EH 238408# – open to the public – Capability Brown & National Trust site – Leach says ‘bridge survives in excellent condition’
The monument includes a bridge of 18th century date, which carries the B6342 over the River Wansbeck. The bridge is constructed from honey-coloured ashlar masonry with neat vertical tooling. The bridge has a central segmental river arch spanning 12m, flanked on either side by semi-circular headed flood arches 3.27m wide. It has triangular cutwaters with moulded caps, square piers and a balustraded parapet on a dentilled cornice. Beyond the outer piers wing walls sweep outwards. The bridge was constructed to carry the turnpike road from Hexham to Alnmouth over the River Wansbeck and lies upon the main approach to Wallington Hall. It was designed by James Paine for the Blackett family and was constructed in 1755.
Bridge, 1755 by James Paine. Tooled ashlar. Central segmental arch flanked by smaller semicircular arches, all with rusticated voussoirs. Triangular cutwaters. Square piers with pyramidal caps flanking arches and terminating outswept approach walls; piers flanking central arch have large domed niches. Parapet set slightly forward on block corbels, balustraded above arches, flat-coped on approach walls.
Yorkshire – 27 projects – 17 survive – 5 open to the public – 1 NT – 1 CB
Bramham Biggin – house (alterations) – GV II* HE1135632 EH 342183 – not open to the public
Large house. C17, altered 1750-56 by James Paine, for Allison. Interior:altered, the present principal feature of interest being the 2-storey entrance hall with C18 staircase (open string, scrolled brackets, 2 slim turned balusters per tread, panelled newels and ramped handrail); and stone flagged floor. History: was used as school during C19, with additions (now demolished) and alterations.
No website but photo and article from Leeds Civic Trust
Bramham Park – stable pavilions GVI HE1135638 EH 342189 + temple / chapel GVI HE1135640 EH 342194 # – open to the public
Stable block. Early C18; with added angle pavilions attributed to James Paine. Magnesian limestone ashlar, slate roofs. Classical style.
Chapel, formerly summer house. 1750-62, by James Paine, for George Fox Lane. Magnesian limestone ashlar, stone slate roof. Classical style.
Cowick Hall – house – external & internal alterations and unexecuted new wings GVI HE1083323 – EH 164946 now used as offices – not open to the public
Country house, now offices. 1660-90 for Sir John Dawnay, first Viscount Downe; alterations of 1752-60 by James Paine for third Viscount, Henry Pleydell Dawnay, included internal remodelling, EH 164946 no photos on EH website
The main fronts of Cowick Hall are among the most accomplished C17? country house designs in the country. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1959, p 171.
Cusworth Hall – house – new wings, minor internal alterations and mainly unexecuted external alterations GVI HE1192735 EH 334564 # – open to the public
Country house, now local authority museum. 1740-45 by George Platt for William Wrightson, alterations 1749-53 by James Paine.
Pavilions each have rusticated basement and central round arch enclosing balustraded apron to Ionic tripartite window set beneath a Diocletian window; flanking semi-domed niches; pediments. Right return of right-hand pavilion has canted bay-window with balustrading to aprons and parapet. Similar projection to left-hand pavilion forms chapel apse.
Interior: many excellent features. Of principal interest the Chapel, in pavilion to left of garden front, with rich plasterwork by Joseph Rose, ceiling painting of the Ascension by Francis Hayman; apse separated by a serliana with festooned open pediment. Other pavilion: marble fireplace with Vitruvian-scroll frieze, Ionic pillars flank bay-window, coved ceiling with Rococo plasterwork.
Dinnington Hall– house – attributed new wings – GVII* HE1314652 EH 335748 # – not open to the public
Large house now a care home Early-mid C18 with alterations of 1752 for Henry Athorpe attributed to James Paine (Colvin, p610); later additions and interiors by John Carr.
Doncaster Mansion House – new mansion house – GVI HE1151426 EH 335051
open to the public Country Life article July 6 1978
Mayorial residence and attached railings. 1746 – 1748 by James Paine with additions
by William Lindley of 1801 – 1806, including attic storey, rear landing and rear
banqueting hall. Built for Doncaster Corporation. Painted ashlar with slate roof.
Heath House – house – new front range GVII* HE1200517 EH 342395 – not open to the public Country Life articles by Marcus Binney Feb. 20 1969, Feb. 27 1969, March 6 1969 more esp. pp406f. – Binney considers that the house is of national importance, both historically and architecturally
Large country house. Mid C17 refenestrated and with addition forming a new front c1744. By James Paine for the Hopkinson family. Ashlar front, hammer- dressed stone to rear, Welsh blue-slate and lead flat roof. Palladian Villa style.
Hickleton Hall – completion of new house GVII* HE1286810 EH 334485 + attributed new stables GVII* HE1151659 – not open to the public
Country house was Sue Ryder Home now empty. 1745-48 by James Paine for Godfrey Wentworth;
enlarged c1775 and altered 1857-60 (Colvin, p610). Limestone ashlar, graduated slate roofs.
High Melton Hall – attributed new house – GVII HE1314790 EH 334507 – house greatly altered – impossible to visualize original form – some characteristic Paine features remain – not open to the public
Country house now college. Dated 1757, additions of 1878, major alterations of 1948-49. Originally for John Fountayne, Dean of York; attributed to James Paine (Colvin, p611). Deeply-coursed, dressed sandstone, graduated slate roof to central block. U-shaped C18 block extended to rear to form H-shaped range. EH 334507
Kirkstall Grange – new house – GVII* HE1256304 EH 465059 not open to the public – now part of Leeds Beckett University
Country house, now offices and lecture rooms. 1752. By James Paine. For Walter Wade. Alterations c1834 and c1858 for Sir John and William Beckett. Ashlar gritstone, blue slate roofs and lead-covered dome. EH 465059
Milnsbridge House – attributed new house GVII* HE1290158 EH 339786# – not open to the public Listing NGR: SE1166616033
Probably shortly after 1748. Architect possibly James Paire. Ashlar. Flat modern roof. EH 339786
Nostell Priory – new house & interior decoration – GVI HE1262071 EH 435934 # – open to the public – National Trust site
Country house. 1736-1750, for Sir Rowland Winn, 4th baronet, by James Paine, probably from initial designs of Col. James Moyser (based on Palladio’s Villa Mocenigo); completed by Robert Adam, with some alterations, 1765-1776, and with the addition of a north wing 1779-80, for Sir Rowland Winn, 5th baronet.Sandstone ashlar, stone slate roof.
Interior:Rococo design, decoration and furnishing of major importance, by James Paine and subsequently by Robert Adam, with plaster by Joseph Rose, painting by Antonio Zucchi, furnishings and some decoration by Thomas Chippendale: the earlier work, by Paine, mainly in the North and South Staircases, and rooms to the south of the Hall (of which the Dining Room, State Bedchamber and State Dressing Room are of principal interest); EH 435934 photos
Pontefract – 17, Corn Market, – attributed new house – not listed – not open to the public
Pontefract – 5, Market Place, – attributed new house – not listed – not open to the public
Sandbeck Park – remodelling & extension of house – GVI HE1314665 EH 335930 + new kitchen & stables GVII* HE1151900 EH 335934 + garden buildings ? + Sandbeck Park & Roche Abbey GVII* HE1001161 + Malpas Hill Gateway GVII* HE1314689 EH 335946 + The Limes (gamekeeper’s house) GVII HE1151861 EH335943 + Four Lane Ends Lodge & Gateway GVII HE1151862 EH 335945+ gatepiers & attached wing walls at Roundhouse Lodge GVII HE1151901 EH 335838 + central block of cottages north of Home Farm GVII HE1314688 EH 335944 – not open to the public – Capability Brown site – Country Life articles by Mark Girouard Oct 7th, 14th, 21st, 1965
Country house. Core of c1626 encased and extended c1760 by James Paine for the 4th Earl of Scarbrough; later additions, interior remodelling of 1857 by William Burn for the 9th Earl. Ashlar magnesian limestone, roof not visible.
Sandbeck Park Stable block, formerly incorporating chapel and domestic accommodation. c1760 with later additions. By James Paine for the 4th Earl of Scarbrough. Ashlar magnesian limestone, Westmorland slate roof replaced in part by Welsh slate and C20 pantiles.
Malpas Hill Gateway Estate entrance gateway. c1760. By James Paine for the Earl of Scarbrough. Ashlar magnesian limestone, wrought-iron gates. Triumphal-arched carriage entrance flanked by side gates and end piers; quadrant wing walls with intermediate and end piers.
Gamekeeper’s house. c1760, altered. Probably by James Paine for the Earl of Scarbrough. Ashlar magnesian limestone, Welsh slate roof. 2-storey, 3-bay centre with 1-storey, 1-bay side wings that on the right with added storey.
Four Lane Ends Lodge and Gateway II Estate entrance gateway and lodge. c1760. Probably by James Paine for the Earl of Scarbrough. Ashlar magnesian limestone, lodge has Westmorland slate roof; wrought-iron gates.
Gatepiers and attached wing walls at Roundhouse Lodge Late C18. Probably by James Paine far the
Sandbeck estate. Magnesian limestone ashlar. Pair of large gate piers flanked by adjoining ashlar walls. Each pier has plinth to rusticated shaft and band beneath pedimented frieze block having paterae; ribbed cups to pineapple finials. Wing walls: plinth continues from each pier, wall rises to 3/4 of the shaft height and has ashlar copings. Attached lodge not of special interest.
Central block of cottages immediately to north of Home Farm Part of row of cottages. c1760, altered.In the style of James Paine, for the Earl of Scarbrough. Ashlar magnesian limestone, Welsh slate roof. 2-storey, 3-bay centre to row of cottages much altered and extended in C19 and not of special interest. Central block: plinth, rusticated quoins. Rusticated round arch with keystone now infilled and with casement; flanking casements on each floor, those to 2nd floor flank a central glazed oculus with keyed architrave. Cornice to hipped roof flanked by corniced end stacks. Similar to gamekeeper’s house known as The Limes (q.v.) and thought to be by James Paine.
Stockeld Park – new house GVI HE1149986 EH 330556 + pigeon house GVII* HE1315562 EH 330554 + summer house GVII HE1295550 EH 330557 + wetherby lodge & gateway GVII HE1315563 EH 330558 – open to the public by appointment – one of Paine’s most impressive designs according to Pevsner, West Riding, p 502.
Small Palladian mansion. 1758-63 by James Paine for William Middleton; late
C19 additions. Millstone grit and ashlar, Westmorland slate roof.
Pigeon house approximately 120 metres north of Stockeld Park House
Summer house or gambling house, now a garden store. Probably 1758-63 by James Paine for William Middleton. Ashlar; Westmorland slate roof.
House and gateway and attached wall. Probably 1758-63 with extension built c1894. By James Paine for William Middleton of Stockeld Park. Ashlar with Westmorland slate roofs.
Wadworth Hall – completion of new house – GVI HE1314863 EH 334843 + east lodge GVII* HE1193428 EH 334846 + west lodge GVII* HE1151506 EH 334845 + gatepiers & attached walls GVII HE1314864 EH 334847 + sundial ? GVII HE131412 EH 334844 – not open to the public – Country Life article by M.Girouard sept 1st 1966 p 494 – 498
Large house with attached wing walls, now offices. c1750 with early C19 service wing. By James Paine for Josias Wordsworth. Ashlar magnesian limestone, Westmorland slate roof.
Entrance lodge with attached wall. c1750. By James Paine for Josias Wordsworth. Ashlar magnesian limestone, graduated #estaorland slate roof.
Entrance gatepiers and attached walls. Probably aid C18 for Josias Wordsworth of Wadworth Hall (q.v.). Ashlar magnesian limestone.
Entrance lodge with attached wall. c1750. By James Paine for Josias Wordsworth. Ashlar magnesian limestone, graduated Westmorland slate roof.
Sundial pedestal. Probably mid C18 for Josias Wordsworth of Wadworth Hall
(q,v.). Magnesian limestone.
Whitley Beaumont – gazebo – listing not found but Leach includes a photograph of the gazebo in his book on James Paine
The Midlands – 14 projects – 11 survive – 5 open to the public – 1 NT – 3 CB
Chatsworth House – office wing & alterations GVI HE1373871 EH 81648# + park & garden GVI HE1000355 EH (UID1303) + stables GVI HE1088184 EH 81649 + water mill GVII HE1088189 EH 81665+ bridge GVI HE1049093 EH 81646 + Beeley bridge GVII* HE1052356 HE 81662 –- open to public – Capability Brown site – Country Life 9 articles april to sept 1968
Stables, now in various uses as restaurant, dwellings and for storage. 1758-63 by James Paine, for the Fourth Duke of Devonshire. Coursed squared rock-faced sandstone and ashlar. Hipped Westmorland slate roofs.
Corn mill. 1761-2 by James Paine. Plain classical style. Sandstone ashlar. Hipped and gabled stone slate roof, mostly collapsed. Two and three storeys.
Road bridge. 1759-74 by James Paine, substantially completed by 1761. Sandstone ashlar and rock-faced sandstone. Three broad segmental arches with step moulding and moulded hoodmould. Supported on piers of rock-faced sandstone, projecting on each side as short triangular cutwaters, with curved tops.
Road bridge at south end of Chatsworth Park. 1759-60 by James Paine. Coursed squared sandstone and ashlar. Single round arch, triple stepped arch with plain hoodmould. Five plain ribs below. Triangular buttresses on each bank.
Chillington Park – Payne’s bridge GVII* HE1060195 EH 271326 – Capability Brown site – open to the public The following buildings may also have been designed by James Paine -The White House & farm buildings GVII* HE1039320 EH 271429 + Avenue Lodge GVII HE1367180 EH 256850
Bridge over The Canal at junction with The Pool. Late C18. By James Payne. Ashlar. Single arch flankedby buttresses with niches; a medallion on each side of the arch with niches, one with the head of a King, the other now blank owing to weathering or mutilation; moulded cornice, the section over the arch and buttresses is corbelled; iron balustrade and gates to north.
Farmhouse and farm buildings. Early to mid C18 with north facade of c1770. Red brick with ashlar dressings, formerly limewashed, clay tile roofs with raised and coped verges; brick stacks. Palladian facade to house and farm buildings, ranged around a courtyard. — Sited on the edge of Chillington Park and designed as an eyecatcher.
Avenue Lodge – Estate Lodge. Early C19 with later additions and alterations. Coursed limestone rubble, machine tiled hipped roofs, prominent C20 integral red brick stack. Roughly L-shaped in plan. 2 storeys; 2-bay east side terminating to south in an angled end with 3 windows, multi-paned C19 casements; entrances under C20 porches in east side and in angle with 2-bay range at right angles to west.
Burton Hall – new front range & other alterations GVII* HE1147084 EH 196983 + stables & service building ? – not open to the public
Country house. 1768. By James Paine for Lord Monson. Alterations and addition of C20. Ashlar south front, hipped slate roof concealed by a parapet with 2 ranges of moulded stone stacks. 3 storey 9 bay front arranged 3:3:3 with central 3 bays slightly advanced and pedimented
Glentworth Hall – mainly unexecuted reconstruction of house GVII* HE1063348 EH 196723 + stable block? – not open to the public – the greater part of the house has been demolished
Large country house. c.1566, 1753 attributed to James Paine. In a very severe state of dilapidation.
Interior seriously vandalised and now of no interest.
Gopsall Hall – unexecuted decoration to the house + garden temple GVII HE1267970 EH 462403 – only temple survives now partly ruined – open to the public – it is said that Handel composed part of the Messiah in the temple
Garden Temple. 1767, ruined 1835. Designed by James Paine and altered in execution by the Hiorns brothers. Ashlar. Octagonal plan with eight arches and eight Ionic columns. Now partly ruined with four columns partly standing. The whole stands within an octagonal enclosure surrounded by a low brick wall. Most of the original stones for this building survive, and are scattered romantically around this enclosure. Originally the building was surmounted by a statue of Religion by Roubiliac, and contained a cenotaph by by Richard Hayward. Source; James Paine by Peter Leach. London 1988 p 186.
Kedleston Hall – mainly unexecuted completion of new house GVI HE1311507 EH 78880# – open to the public – National Trust – Country Life articles 1956, Second edition 1984. pp72-78, 24 Aug 1901; 20 & 27 Dec 1913; 26 Jan 1978, pp 194-197, 2 Feb 1978 pp 262-266; 9 Feb 1978 pp 322-325
Large country house, set in large landscape park. 1758-65 by Matthew Brettingham, James Paine and Robert Adam. Interiors complete by the 1780s. Red brick faced in ashlar and render. Hipped Welsh slate roofs. Various brick stacks largely hidden within the roof wells. Main rectangular block with quadrant colonnades and rectangular pavilions following Palladio’s Villa Mocenigo. Rusticated basement, piano nobile and attic storeys.
South Ormsby Hall – new house -GVII* HE1168647 EH 81562 + stables & gate piers GVII HE1063597 + gates & gate piers ? GVII HE1306883 – not open to the public – Country Life article march 1969
Country house. C17, but largely rebuilt 1752-5 by James Paine, for the Massingberd-Mundy family. Enlarged and altered c.1803 by P. Atkinson, altered C19 and C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, with ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof with lead dressings behind brick parapet. 2 storey plus basement, 3 bay entrance front, with advanced facetted central bay. The original Paine design had a huge pediment the full width of the front. This was removed C19 when a third storey was added. This was removed c.1920 when the present brick parapet was built. —In the Drawing Room a fine Roccoco ceiling with centre piece of musical instruments with scrolls of flowers and garlands.
Serlby Hall – new house GVI HE1045126 – not open to the public – Country Life articles 26 March1959 & 9 April 59 Largely rebuilt by William Lindley in ? very little of JP work left see Civic Trust Article No 43 May 2011
Stoke Hall – new house ( attributed ) GVII* HE1158686 EH 81562 + stables (now cottages) GVII HE1158673 – not open to the public
Country House. Dated 1757 on a rainwater head at the rear of the house and built for the Rev John Simpson. Ashlar gritstone with boldly projecting eaves cornice on corbelled band, a shallow parapet with ball finials, ashlar ridge and mid-roof stacks anti stone slated roof coverings, the roof to the principal range being hipped
Weston Park – chimney pieces & decoration GVI HE1039264 Paine not mentioned in listing + temple of Diana GVI HE 1188135 EH 271633 + bridge GVI HE1039268 EH 271618 – Capability Brown site – open to public
Orangery and Garden House, styled as Temple, circa 1760, by James Paine. Stone ashlar; lead flat roof and dome, slate pent roofs, dichotomic plan of orangery against garden house.
Bridge, circa 176Os by James Paine. Stone ashlar; single ribbed arch, rising from rusticated plinth flanked by niched abutments with open pediment finials; cambered carriageway over span with modillioned cornice edge below balustraded parapet, continued and splayed down approaches to terminal blocks.
Worksop Manor – internal decoration of old house (destroyed) + new house (destroyed) + stable block GVI HE 1370406 EH 241298 + Castle Farm & folly GVII* HE1045026 EH 241251 + west lodge & gateway GVII HE1370405 EH 241292 Country Life article Marcus Binney march 1973
Country house and stable block. 1701-04; redesigned by James Paine for the Duchess of Norfolk, 1763; altered 1840 and later C19. Ashlar with hipped slate roofs. Plinth, first floor band, cornice, coped parapet, windows with projecting architraves, some with keystones, rusticated quoins, various panelled ridge and side wall stacks. 2 and 3 storeys some with attics. Quadrangle with screen wall to west and projecting basement wall of former house also to west. —– Originally built for the sixth Earl of Shrewsbury, late C16. Greatly altered and extended, and stables built, for the eighth Duke of Norfolk, 1701-04. Internal alterations by James Paine from 1756. Destroyed by fire 1761; rebuilt by Paine 1761-67. Demolished and altered by the Duke of Newcastle, 1840.
Castle Farm with attached Farmyard wall and outbuildings. Farmhouse and Garden folly, 1758. Preputedly designed by the Duchess of Norfolk with the assistance of James Paine in the Gothick style. Coursed rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Quoins. Ashlar plinth, plain ground floor band and moulded first floor band. All topped with coped battlements. Courtyard plan. ——–The interior of the central pavilion has a large ground floor banqueting room with ogee headed windows and door surrounds, a 4 centred arch into the bay and a plaster vault ceiling with ornate foliate corbels.
West Lodge and Gateway 1763. By James Paine for the Duke of Norfolk. Ashlar with hipped slate roof. Plain sashes with keystoned lintels, single ridge stack. 2 storeys, 3 bays, octagonal plan. Canted west front has 3 windows and above, central blank panel flanked by single windows. Outside, a pair of matching rusticated gate piers.
Pediment to north front of Worksop Manor G.V. II HE1156639 EH241297
Pediment 1765. By William Collins for the Duchess of Norfolk. Ashlar. Moulded eaves and pastoral scenes in tympanum.
East of England – 10 projects – 6 survive – 2 open to the public – I NT – 1 CB
Brocket Hall – reconstruction & extension of house GVI HE1100987 EH158435 + stables GVII HE1348177 EH 158436 + lodges GVII* HE1101030 EH 158433 + bridge GVII* HE1173560 EH158434 + temple GVII* HE1100988 EH 158437 + laundry block GVII HE1100990 EH 158439 + laundry house GVII HE1100989 EH 158438 + park & garden GVII HE1000540 EH (UID 1524) – not open to the public – Country Life articles 4th &18th July 1925
Large rectangular mansion built by James Paine for Sir Mathew Lamb and his son Sir Penistone Lamb (later Lord Melbourne) c1760 to c1780. Piecemeal reconstruction of an older courtyard house, the staircase filling the courtyard space. Red brick exteriors with some stone dressings.Westmoreland slate roof. 3 storeys, attic and basement. Mostly original glazing bar sash windows. Gauged brick lintels. Continuous stone sill bands and moulded cornice. —- Interior has top-lit staircase hall, the gallery with honeysuckle pattern railings and columns with spiral-fluted lower parts. Alcoves either end with circular and oval saucer domes. Large saloon with gilt coved ceiling.
Stable block. Circa 1765 by James Paine for Mathew Lamb. Red brick, slate hipped roof. 2 storeys. EH 158436
Bridge. 1772-4 by James Paine in grounds landscaped by Mr Wood of Essex. Portland stone. 3 segmental arches, wider central one over weir. Cutwaters have chamfered ashlar bases and niches over. Ribbed arch soffits. Modillioned cornice below parapet with symmetrical balusters
Garden temple. Mid-late C18, presumably by James Paine. Painted brick and stucco, slate roofs. Single storey. Said to have been used for taking syllabub. EH 158437
Former laundry house. Mid-late C18, probably by James Paine. EH 158438
Former laundry block and pumphouse. Mid-late C18, probably by James Paine. Red brick. Square plan. Slate pyramid roof. 2 storeys, the upper one taller and separated from the lower one by a floor band. EH 158439
Lodges and gates. South east of the hall Circa 1765 by James Paine for Sir Mathew Lamb.
2 lodges either side of entrance. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate roof. 2 storeys with slightly projecting pedimented bays towards road. EH 158433
Hare Hall ( now known as The Royal Liberty School ) – new house GVII* HE1079885 EH 201665 – not open to the public Listing description says ‘ interior much altered, but top-lit oval staircase survives, also some panelling and chimney pieces in first floor rooms’.
1768/9 with late C19 additions. designed by James Paine for J A Wallinger. Ashlar faced main block joined by colonnades to 2 storey pavilions. Rusticated ground floor with 4 square sashes, semi-circular headed niches at either end and central entrance with modern door and semi-circular Tuscan porch of 1896. — Interior much altered, but top-lit oval staircase survives, also some panelling and chimney pieces in first floor rooms.
Felbrigg Hall – internal alterations & decoration – new service wing & other additions, GVI HE1373644 EH 223255 – open to the public – National Trust – Country Life article 22nd Dec 1934
Large house. Circa 1621-24 probably by Robert Lyminge for Thomas Windham.Circa 1685 by William Samwell for William Windham. Circa 1750 by James Paine for William Windham II. Rendered brick and flint with stone dressings, brick.Slate and glazed black pantile roofs. — Dining room formed by Paine when Samwell’s stair was removed. Plaster chimney piece with scrolled eared architrave, lions’ head and paws to entablature. Plasterers were Joseph Rose the elder and George Green. Flanking over doors with acanthus moulding; moulded eared architrave; doors with 6 raised and fielded panels, beaded muntins. Principal doors with acorns and oak leaves to overdoors with ribbons;consoles supporting egg and dart cornice. Panels containing Rococo plasterwork threaded with chain. 8 sconces with plasterwork surrounds; garlands with ribbons and fruit; ceiling cornice with egg and dart moulding and dentils. 4 seasons to corner panels of ceiling. Oval centre panel with spears, drums,
hunting horns; eagle with outspread wings, talons intended to hold chain of chandelier. Drawing room. White marble fire surround with Roman Ionic Siena marble columns and frieze. Door cases by Paine with overdoors having drapery with fruit and ribbons; surrounds with egg and dart moulding. Cornice with palmettes, doors, dado and shutters also by Paine. —- Window shutters have octagonal moulded panels; dado and door surround also by Paine. Chimney piece of white marble with consoles, fluted fascia of 1824. Dentilled coved cornice with garlands of flowers and Windham arms above chimney piece of c1750 again by Paine’s plasterers Rose and Green. —– Open-well staircase by Paine of c1750; open string, moulded tread. S-shaped wrought iron balusters; ramped mahogany hand-rail.
Felbrigg. The Story of a House. R.W. Ketton-Cremer. 1962.
Country Life. December 22nd 1934.
Felbrigg Hall. Gervase Jackson-Stops. National Trust.
Shrubland Hall – new house GVII* HE1033252 EH 279211# – not open to the public – Country Life article 19th November 1953 Leach says ‘it was extensively remodeled and enlarged ‘ in C19
A large country mansion built in 3 main stages:-
1. 1770-72 by James Paine, for Revd. John Bacon.
2. Remodelled 1830-32 by Gandy Deering for Sir W.F. Middleton, Bart.
3.Remodelled 1849-55 by Sir Charles Barry (together with garden architecture) for same client.
West, garden front:- Central block by Paine, 3 storeys, 5 bays. 3 further bays added by Gandy Deering on either side. Gault brick with dressings of limestone and stucco.
The main internal spaces are at 1st storey level: a drawing room with fine gilded plaster ceiling in the
Adam style by James Paine, and a similar ante-room;
St Paul’s Walden Bury – attributed new north range GVII* HE1307601 EH162979 – in the parks & gardens GVI HE1000150 description, there is a mention of flanking rococo pavilions GVII but the HE number not shown – open to the public – Country Life articles119 (15 March 1956), pp 472-5; (22 March 1956), pp 532-5
Country house. Early C18 (Kelly (1914)232 saysc.1740) for Edward Gilbert (1680-1762) who succeeded in 1724 and rebuilt chancel of Parish Church 1727 when he was described as ‘of the Bury’. N facade, interior of N hall and polygonal flanking wings dated ‘1767’ on 2 rainwater heads, one on SE with ‘MB’ for Mary Bowes daughter of Edward Gilbert and widow of George Bowes of Gibside, Durham. (Attributed by Pevsner following Peter Leach, to James Paine the elder (1716-89) who had designed the mausoleum for George Bowes in 1760-61 and was engaged on Brocket Hall, Herts c.1760-70). —– Interior of N range has segmental decorated plaster vaulted hall occupying the whole of the centre, with apses each end screened by columns in Adamesque manner, with Music Room at W with moulded dado, cornice, damask hung walls, semi-circular bay to N, and fire surround carved with flutes. More elaborate Drawing Room in NE pavillion has semi-circular bays to N, S and E, elaborate plasterwork, and chimneypiece following the concave curve of the S bay with tapering pilasters. Ceilings similar to Paine’s work at Brocket Hall. (VCH (1908)406: Pevsner (1977)330: Morris (1980)54).
Thorndon Hall – new house GVI HE1297212 EH 373560 + park & garden GVII* HE1000314 EH (UID 1256)+ Lion Gates and Lodges GVII HE1208208 EH 373557 – not open to the public – Capability Brown landscape – James Paine, the architect, working between 1735 and 1770 was `unquestionably the leading house architect in the country — till Mr Robert Adam entered the lists’. (Summerson J: Architecture in Britain 1530-1830: 219-220).
Large country house, now 84 apartments. 1764-70, converted 1980. By James Paine. For Lord Petre. Stock brick with stone dressings and slate roofs. Plan – rectangular centre block with quadrant wings to rectangular pavilion blocks, total length of facade 185m. The composition unites a long, centrally porticoed Palladian palace with outer pavilions of the increasingly fashionable villa (1:3:1) style. Centre and W end burnt out in 1878 and rest allowed to decay until conversion of whole complex, including stables.
Formerly known as: The Lion Gates with railings and Lion Lodge South. Lion Lodge – Ornamental gates and lodges to Thorndon Hall (qv). Probably by James Paine, who designed the hall, in 1764. Later C18 stuccoed brick square pavilions flank the gateway.
London – 23 projects – 4 survive – 1 open to the public
Dover House, Whitehall – new house – GVI HE1066101 EH 20759 – open to the public by appointment – Leach says ‘house much altered by Henry Holland’ and ‘little of Paine’s interior decoration remains’
Listing says Restrained, elegant Palladian design by Paine with very sophisticated Parisian neo-Classical screen by Holland. —– behind west front,on 1st floor, the north room retains compartmented Paine ceiling,
37, King Street, Covent Garden –attributed new house – not listed – not open to the public – Leach says ‘it remains the least altered of Paine’s London town houses’
Lumley House, South Audley Street – house (alterations & repairs) – not listed – not open to the public – Leach says ‘building has been too much altered’
St Anne’s Soho Parish Workhouse, Manette Street – new building – not listed – not open to the public
South of England – 14 projects – 5 survive – 2 open to the public – 1 CB
Britwell Salome – now called Britwell House – attributed chapel ceiling GVII* HE1059503 EH 247473# Paine not mentioned in listing – not open to the public – Country Life 1972 810-814/ 883-887 – Leach says ‘it is clear that the owner designed the chapel but it is very likely that Paine provided the ceiling design’
Chertsey Bridge – bridge – 1780 / 85 – GVII* HE1204646 – EH 289145 (Paine with Kenton Couse) – open to the public –Leach says ‘the bridge was partly rebuilt in 1821, 1842 and 1894, and retains little of its original appearance apart from the general outline’ Listing description says ‘the least altered of Paine’s Thames bridges’
Built by James Paine 1780-85. Stone. 5 principal segmental arches with additional flood arches at sides. Plain parapet, with capping and cast iron ornamental panels. The latter are above cutwaters, which are pointed on plan and have rounded tops at springing of arches. Bridge has good proportions. NMR photo. photo of bridge on Images of England
Moor Park – attributed remodeling of the house – GVII* HE1319854 – park and garden GVII HE1001173 Paine not mentioned in the listings – not open to the public Country Life articles 11 (28 June 1902), pp 832-4; 106 (25 November 1949), pp 1578-81;118 (22 September 1955), p 598
Richmond Bridge – bridge – 1774 / 77- GVI HE1180951 EH 205650 (Paine with Kenton Couse) – open to view – Listing description says ‘now the oldest bridge over the Thames within the boundaries of Greater London’ – Ian Nairn in his book on London’s buildings – ‘the only bridge between London and Marlow to take account of the river as a personality, not an engineering problem. The five graduated arches are partners with the glittering water, and lose no excitement by the gesture,just as the minuet with its utterly formal plan can act as container for the most exuberant high spirits. Between them, Asgill House and Richmond Bridge spell out what we have lost since the eighteenth century:not surface politeness, not a way of designing, but wholeness of vision’.
Richmond Bridge TQ 1774 NE 20A/65 2.9.52 TQ 1774 SE 20B/65
1777. By James Paine and Kenton Couse. Widened 1937. Portland stone. Five moulded segmental arches, rising gradually to the centre, which has the widest and tallest arch. Two land-bound semi-circular arches. Moulded semi-circular cutwaters. Bracketed cornice. Balustraded parapets, solid over cutwaters, above which are iron lamp standards. Now the oldest bridge over the Thames within the boundaries of Greater London. photo of bridge on Images of England
Wardour Castle – new house – GVI HE1146004 EH 321061 – Country Life article 22nd & 29th nov 1930 + chapel GVI HE1300093 EH 321062 ( Paine with Giacomo Quarenghi ) + dairy in temple gardens GVII HE1146005 EH 321063 – Country Life article 10 October 1968 – not open to the public – Capability Brown site. One of the finest Palladian houses in Wiltshire (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Country house, now apartments. 1770-76 by James Paine for Eighth Lord Arundell. Limestone ashlar, hipped Welsh slate roofs, ashlar stacks. —Main feature is central rotunda of main block with fine flying stairs in two curves, wrought iron balustrade to stairs and to gallery with Composite columns to coffered dome and glazed lantern, semi-circular niches in gallery walls also coffered
Wardour Castle Chapel – Roman Catholic parish church. 1770-76 by James Paine and Giacomo Quarenghi, sanctuary enlarged by John Soane 1789. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate hipped roof. Contained within the west pavilion of Wardour Castle (q.v.)
Ornamental dairy – Dated 1794 on rainwater head. Limestone ashlar with domed lead roof. Circular, with semi-circular west portico of four egg and dart unfluted columns, fluted frieze with paterae to Doric entablature, and parapet. — Part of the informal garden layout around Wardour Castle, the detail is very similar to the house and suggests that it may have been designed by Paine or by Soane who worked on the chapel, 1789-90.